In Search of Consistency

This is the second time this week I’ve written a post and Ecto, my blogging software, has gone and deleted it. Thanks, Ecto.

Just when you’d think I exhausted every single stupid excuse for why I didn’t work out this morning, I have a new one!

I plugged my phone into a different outlet last night (why, I don’t know either), and it turns out that it was an outlet controlled by a light switch, which, of course I’d turned off and my phone died.

I’d reserved a bike for a 6:30 spin class this morning, and I woke up naturally at 6:20 and realized there was no way I could get changed and make it there in 10 minutes…and so I plugged my phone into a different outlet and rolled back over, defeated. I ended up sleeping until almost 8, getting a full nine hours of sleep.

I don’t know if it was too much sleep (that’s not really a thing, is it?), an allergy-induced fog, or a bit of both, but today dragged on and on and on. A trip to a client event to take some photos at mid-day was a nice diversion to wake back up.

Around 4, I realized I needed to come up with a workout plan, so I decided I’d work to get everything done and get out of the office by 7:10 to get to 30/60/90. Per usual, the class was awesome, but I couldn’t help but watch two girls in the front who were in kick-ass shape. I want to be like them when I grow up. How can I be like them? Consistency.

IMG 1296 In Search of Consistency

IMG 1295 In Search of Consistency

By the time I got home, walked Bailey and was ready to start making something to eat (fajitas), it was 9:30. If that’s not reason enough for me to try to become one of those morning exercisers, I don’t know what it is.

That, and the endorphins evaporate overnight. I was in such a good mood when I ran before work last week, and I definitely don’t feel that same way when I work out at night.

So, I’m not going to ask how you make yourself wake up to work out in the morning, because that one’s beating a dead horse, but what workouts do you struggle to do consistently? For me, it’s obviously anything that’s not running.

SHARE THIS POST:facebook In Search of Consistencytwitter In Search of Consistencypinterest In Search of Consistencygoogleplus In Search of Consistency

30 comments on “In Search of Consistency

1. Sheri

I love running and that’s about it. I really struggle when it comes to weight lifting. I’ve bought books, tried classes, just gone in and made it up and I just cannot stick to it! I may try a Body Pump class soon as I’ve finally found a gym that offers it in Chicago. Hopefully that will work out for me!

2. Gillian

I struggle with committing to yoga, mostly because I am SO unflexible that I’m bad at it. Running, spinning, weights are easier for me to commit to, but I NEED to incorporate more yoga into my routine for injury prevention/recovery. I’m trying to make it to one class a week, and putting it into my iCal really helps me plan workouts for the week!
    Gillian recently posted..my brother survived his 21st.

3. Colleen @ Culinary Colleen

I’m the queen of coming up with excuses to not do my morning workouts. This morning was “I had a headache before bed last night, I must be getting sick…I had better sleep in”. Lol. I think running is actually the hardest thing for me to wake up and do, but not sure why. It just always seems like a lot of effort in the morning!

4. Kristine @ Running on Hungry

So I don’t work out in the mornings (I work east coast accounts and live in San Francisco and try to get to work by 7:30am) but for me what works to stay consistent in workouts is to set a routine. I run 3x a week (usually 5-6 miles each time, and I make the time for it – whether it’s going at lunchtime (and going back to the office with wet hair), or after work, I feel so much better when I do it. Having someone else hold you accountable helps too… I take Pilates reformer classes a couple of days a week after work and if you cancel within 12 hours they charge you $18/class… not something I want to be dealing with! :)
    Kristine @ Running on Hungry recently posted..Whole Wheat Snickerdoodles

5. Mark

Anything that’s not running I struggle with. Basically my brain blots it out and I simply forget! When I’ve a date with running, everything comes together and I’m usually out of the house earlier than I meant to be, run further than I planned, and all is right with the world.

So I’ve realised there’s no point in fighting it, and just make sure I schedule enough running to keep me fit and stop me piling the pounds back on!

6. Emily

I struggle with committing to yoga or pilates and feeling like I would have to add a fifth work out day into my schedule (NOT happening) instead of swapping out for one of my cardio and/or weight lifting days. I will say becoming a morning exerciser has been important for my workout consistentcy over the past 2 years of moving to NYC and hating working out after getting home at 7 pm or later. Honestly, it really just does take the mindset. NO snooze on the alarm just turn it off and get up. Oh and putting out my clothes the night before is helpful.

7. Sokphal @ Life as a Classroom

Finding that balance is always a struggle. For me it’s about setting priorities and not making excuses. Training for a marathon(s) has been a priority for the past year. Running and feeling good is a priority. I normally know what my schedule will look like a few days in advance with work/social life and plan accordingly. Sometimes that means I have to work out in the morning—so I make myself do it. Because if I don’t, how can I expect to become a better runner if I don’t…run. I never regret working out and not getting an extra hour of sleep. And like you said, running in the morning sets the mood for the rest of your day! You could plan your meals in advance so you don’t eat so late? Running does mean sacrifice, usually in social life. I make sure my bf and I spend quality time together but also that I get to see my friends as well. That usually means only having 1-2 dinner dates during the week, but the weekends are great for catching up. :)

It took about six months for me to be happy with this balance, but one thing I’m still struggling with is cross-training! Luckily I haven’t come across any injuries (yet).
    Sokphal @ Life as a Classroom recently posted..Shamrock Marathon Race Recap

8. Niki

It’s so hard for me to wake up in the morning to exercise, but when I do, I’m so happy for the rest of the day that I got it over with. Those fajitas look good, its always my go to meal, easy and delish!

9. Josie @ happycorredora

I struggle with all non-running related activities. I know that I should be strengthening and stretching and all kinds of other good things- but when it actually comes time to do yoga, or lift weights or do push-ups… I’m suddenly not so keen. I want to become a better and more balanced runner, so this is something I want to work on.
    Josie @ happycorredora recently posted..The Plan: Don’t get injured

10. Mattie @ Comfy and Confident

I struggle to do yoga! I love it but can never seem to get myself to the studio to actually do the class. Every time I go I am so happy. I don’t know why I don’t make it a more consistent part of my fitness regiment (ha, jk – regimen, I know that typo bugs you).
    Mattie @ Comfy and Confident recently posted..Britney and Vega Sport

11. fionarwbl

Where to start? Any morning workout during winter. Core workouts. Yoga classes that are longer than an hour (i.e not hot power). Of course, I ALWAYS feel better for doing them, and they make me a better runner. So I should just suck it up.
    fionarwbl recently posted..Sunday Morning Soul

12. Laura

I have a tough time doing yoga consistently. I like the Jillian Michaels yoga DVDs, but usually, yoga just doesn’t feel enough like a workout. It’s hard for me to block off that much time and not be super sweaty and out of breath – it just makes me want to work out again!

13. Jonathan Aluzas

I struggle with almost all of my workouts, but primarily any of them that I have to do alone! I hate working out alone. I’m not all that fired up about training in general a lot of the time (and I’m in the fitness business) until I start training. Then I catch fire. But the lead-up to training is dreadful for me, especially when facing the prospect of struggling through it alone.
    Jonathan Aluzas recently posted..If You Are Your Own Personal Trainer, Your Training Program Is In Trouble!

14. Nicole

I’ve started setting my coffee pot to brew about 10 min before my alarm goes off…I start to gently wake up to the percolating and smell of coffee. Then I have no excuse not to get up because I don’t want my coffee to get cold! Hang in there – seems like you’ve had a lot to juggle lately.
    Nicole recently posted..Peanut Butter Bombs

15. Shannon

My alarm is set for 6 or 6:30am every day. I dream about before work swimming, jogging, yoga-ing and the like yet not ONCE in three months have I been able to get my A$$ out of bed. I feel your frustration.

16. Dana

I struggle the most with running, everything else seems so routine… weights, cardio, stretching, etc. I love having a good run, but I have such a hard time getting motivated to start because I’m always afraid that it isn’t going to go well. Definitely need to get on this as I signed up for three races this spring as ‘motivation’. We’ll see if it actually works!
    Dana recently posted..Green Smoothie #2