It Must Be Because I’m An Aquarius

I’m feeling a little burnt out on running lately.

Once I get out there, I’m usually okay, but the idea of heading out to the same old paths is not very exciting. East side path, West side path, Central Park, rinse, repeat.

I started feeling like this with my weekday runs while marathon training, but having 10+ miles of area to cover on the weekends meant that I got to be more creative.

This morning, I slept in until 10, which clearly had nothing to do with all the bubbly I had at book club last night.

DSC 0375 It Must Be Because Im An Aquarius

I had some banana bread that my dad made me and my mom brought earlier this week when I saw her (no, I did not know he could bake either) with a scrambled egg on the side for a little protein. My dad used half whole-wheat flour, and you couldn’t taste the difference at all.

One of the ladies left a bag here, and she was picking it up around 12. I lazed around and took Bailey to the dog park, figuring I’d run after she picked up her stuff. By then, it was close to 1 and the route I’d tried to map–to the East Side, down to the tip and up the West Side, was way longer than I needed to run.

To the West Side it was.

As I was running west, I thought I might want to run into the park once I got to 59th Street.

photo 43 It Must Be Because Im An Aquarius

photo 35 It Must Be Because Im An Aquarius

photo 14 It Must Be Because Im An Aquarius

I’m about to offend a lot of my NYC runner friends, but the West Side path/Hudson River Greenway? Far superior to Central Park.

The park is nice and all, but I think running along the water is so much more relaxing. (Maybe because I’m an Aquarius?)

I covered 7 miles, per my Reach the Beach training plan, and the best 3.5 miles were the 3.5 after the turn-around point. Before that, my legs were lead; after, I felt like I was flying.

photo 54 It Must Be Because Im An Aquarius

Someone did not run with me.

NYC runners: Central Park or along the water?

Everyone else: if you had your choice, park or along a waterfront??

SHARE THIS POST:facebook It Must Be Because Im An Aquariustwitter It Must Be Because Im An Aquariuspinterest It Must Be Because Im An Aquariusgoogleplus It Must Be Because Im An Aquarius

31 comments on “It Must Be Because I’m An Aquarius

1. Shannon

For me, the thing about the Hudson greenway is that there’s no shade! (or, it’s way sunnier than CP at least.) plus, I always feel like I’m at least getting some decent hill training in the park. I prefer the riverside paths for bike riding and Central Park for running. I have no idea why, but at least I’ll be equally close to both when I move. (Clearly, I’m super excited about my new place.)

1. Theodora Post author

@Shannon: Um, sounds like the best place to live ever. I moved to Chelsea to be closer to work to make things easier to take care of my dog…but UWS probably would have been high on my list had it not been for my furry friend.

2. Carina

I prefer the Greenway and did the majority of my long run training there. I find it much more relaxing. Except once you run past the Fairway in Harlem, there are no more water stops. But I prefer doing an out-and-back run instead of loop after loop of CP. Plus, to me, the river always seems less crowded, which I like.
    Carina recently posted..The End of the World

3. Amy @ running escapades

I would choose to run along the water (and I’m aquarius too, so you may be right on that one!) but one day I want to experience a run in CP.

I would love to know more about your RTB training plan…I’ll be running NH in Sept for the first time. Looking for all the prep info I can get =)
    Amy @ running escapades recently posted..Spring Break Training

4. Cindy

I absolutely love Central Park – but I prefer all the little mini-paths. But, in all honesty, I haven’t tried running in the Hudson yet. I love super close to CP, but not far from the Hudson either…maybe you just motivated me to try it!

5. Cate

My sister lived in the West Village for two years and whenever I would visit, we’d run along the river. I prefer the river over the park any day. I grew up near the ocean, so I think it’s in my blood to be near the water! I had a HORRIBLE run yesterday, but I think a bad run is better than no run, right? I’m glad the second half of your run went better than the first!
    Cate recently posted..Cate and The Terrible. Horrible. No Good. Very Bad Run.

6. Megan @ Run Like a Grl

I totally agree with you about the West Side. I like running there better for many reasons: 1. less runners, 2: I love running near the water, its relaxing and 3: Its been upgraded recently so there nice parks/art to look at. For long runs I usually start up near 125th and run to the ferry and its so nice!
    Megan @ Run Like a Grl recently posted..Good Karma and a Cool Race Shirt

7. leticia

I use to always run in central park, but my heart is growing to really really love the westside hwy. i mean i wouldn’t attest that at all to the flat course ;) haha!

8. Megan

Hudson River Greenway is far superior in my book. And there’s always a fantastic breeze along the water. Although the Run As One 4M in Central Park this morning was quite nice. I just feel lucky to live in such a wonderful city that has so many different, easy-to-reach options to keep workouts fresh!! Have a great Sunday!
    Megan recently posted..You gotta start somewhere…

9. Molly

I live in Chicago, and one of the best things about the city is the lakefront trail. I always run along the lake and much prefer it to the park.
    Molly recently posted..5 Months

10. Jen

I hope you will forgive me because I live WAY up on the upper west side (washington heights actually), and i honestly dont know how to run on the west side river place all the runners speak of!! i am ashamed. i run in central park/midtown a lot because my gym is right on 7th avenue, but i really want to find this place.. help? PS i love your blog! :)