The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

Starting July 9, I will be training my heart out for the Marine Corps Marathon.

I have an aggressive time goal (4 hours or bust), and it’s going to take a lot both mentally and physically out of me for the next four months, although it will be so worth it.

I ran three halfs this winter/spring: Princess, RNR USA and More/Fitness. And a relay and a tri.

While I didn’t train super-aggressively this spring, I was still keeping my running fitness up for all of these races.

201206252220 The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

No, I swear. This is the face of an aggressive runner.

Anyway. As much as I love running, marathon training is as much not for the mentally weak as it is not for the physically weak, and I needed to give myself a little mini-break before starting training in two weeks.

So, since the tri, I’ve been making efforts to not plan my workouts. I’ve still been doing some running to keep my base up, and I’ve been getting some yoga in, but I’m taking advantage of this downtime to be incredibly laissez-faire about my attitude to working out before I get super-serious about marathon training. I had the opportunity to do the NYC Tri, but I ended up turning it down because I knew it was for the better on multiple levels. Caitlin ended up taking them up on the offer, and I’m so excited to read about how she does.

A little less time working out also means a little more time for fun.

IMG 1786 The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

Tonight, my mom came into the city to have dinner with me. We went to Raymi, a new Peruvian restaurant in my ‘hood that I’ve wanted to try.

My mom is a little picky knows what she likes, so I don’t know how I convinced her Peruvian wasn’t all that wild and crazy, but somehow I did.

I have a bit of a cold (although I thought I was dying this afternoon of Zicam poisonining when everything tasted disgusting) and so I wasn’t super hungry and we split a few things.

IMG 1779 The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

Scallops with parmesan and lime butter.

spring roll The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

Pork and shrimp spring rolls.

We also got anticuchos (basically, Peruvian skewers), but I didn’t take a picture because the first round that came out had peanut oil and I couldn’t eat them. Once they brought ones I could eat, I devoured them really quickly. But picture steak on a stick and you got it.

IMG 1781 The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

I liked the inside of the restaurant a lot–it was clean and elegant, with lots of white and dark cherry wood.

Are you a picky eater? Do you eat a lot differently than you did growing up? I’m definitely more adventurous than I was growing up. (I mean, it would be a waste to live in NYC and not be.) Also, do you dial back a bit before embarking on a long training plan?

SHARE THIS POST:facebook The Calm Before the Marathon Training Stormtwitter The Calm Before the Marathon Training Stormpinterest The Calm Before the Marathon Training Stormgoogleplus The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

27 comments on “The Calm Before the Marathon Training Storm

1. Katie

YESSS! You are SO going to knock out a sub-4 marathon! You are ready. Taking it easy after the tri is the best thing you can do before your all-out training.

So, have a few more glasses of wine and then GET SERIOUS! I’ll be cheering for you from Seattle :)
    Katie recently posted..Birthday Weekend!

2. Lauri

I have never been too picky of an eater but growing up my mom tended to make the same things iover and over. Over the years I have definetley gotten more and more adventurous!

You mentioned peanut oil – Do you have a peanut allergy? My son has one as well and I have heard conflicting reports about peanut oil – The one type is safe for peanut allergic people and the other is not. We avoid it all but just curious about your take.
    Lauri recently posted..T-7 days!

1. Theodora Post author

@Lauri: I do have a peanut allergy. And yes, I’ve heard some peanut oil is safe, but I also just avoid it all to be safe. Also, I’ve been allergic almost my entire life, so it’s not like I miss the taste of it.

3. Christine

HA HA HA!! Look at the guys face in the last photo. He looks annoyed that you are taking a picture. Made me laugh!

4. Megan@ The Running Doc

I used to be a REALLY picky eater, I mean my favorite food was noodles with butter for about 10 years. But I think I’ve lightened up a bit as I’ve gotten older. I still don’t like red sauce (or really anything with tomatos) or any kind of condiment. But I’ll try pretty much any food at least once!

5. Valerie

I dialed it way back before I started training for my marathon. Like, by not running at all for six months. I was very dedicated to not overdoing it.

6. Jackie

OMG! Peruvian food is the best, but I am biased since my family is from Peru, that place looks super fancy! Anticuchos are my favorite, I am all for trying new foods.
    Food is the cheapest way to “travel” to another country and experience the history and culture of those people. :)

Good Luck with Training!
    Jackie recently posted..Into the Real World

1. Jackie

@Theodora: For starters as an appetizer “Papa la Huancaina”.
        If you are feeling seafood either Jalea: (fried mountain of seafood goodies) or Ceviche:(raw fish cooked in lime juice).
        If you want a more hearty meal Lomo Saltado (strips of beef on top of a tower of fries and rice).
        And for a drink try Chica Morada(purple corn drink)

Enjoy! :)
        Jackie recently posted..Into the Real World

7. Meghan

I am starting my NYC Marathon training next week, so I have dialed back the running and have been doing more strength work. The hope is I am in the habit and will keep it up when I start running. . .

8. Cathryn Ramsden

I think taking a break before launching into marathon training is SUCH a good idea…a body needs a break and so does a mind!! And yes that bar looks amazing!!!

I’m not a picky eater at all…I eat anything, my standards are very low. I’m a little embarrassed about it really. I try very hard to eat healthily now, and we manage it 90% of the time, but I’ll eat anything really. Except heart, tripe or eyeballs. That would make me sick!!! Or tongue.

So I’d eat almost anything.
    Cathryn Ramsden recently posted..Deep thoughts.

9. Niki@justrunninwithit

I like your idea of scaling back before a long marathon training. I’m running my third marathon (NYC) this fall. I’ve been essentially doing the same thing running wise. I’m getting a little nervous to start training! Gulp.
    Niki@justrunninwithit recently posted..For the win!

10. Stacy L.

Yes! So important. I really find that taking a ‘whatever’ attitude before buckling down can be the key to NOT burning out. Even though my laid back attitude is coming before I begin 1/2 marathon training for the Philly RnR, I think the same philosophy applies.

As for picky…I eat everything but am VERY picky about how its prepared. Fortunately, that restaurant looked clean, so I think I’d be down for it. The scallops looked delish!
    Stacy L. recently posted..Get Outside on Governors Island 10k Recap: The Good, The Bad & The Salty

11. Liza

You and your mom look great! I used to eat pretty healthy growing up in Ukraine, home cooked meals and desserts made from scratch. Now my eating has changed quite a bit – new foods, ingredients, a lot more vegetables.
    I agree with a little break before the “storm” of marathon training. I am trying to take one myself before my marathon in December.
    Liza recently posted..A random thought

12. Sarah

I’m running MCM too. I’m not familiar with the city or the metro system and I’m having a hard time deciding which hotel to book. If you have any recommendations I would appreciate the help!