DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Update

Screen shot 2013 03 04 at 8.44.22 PM DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Update

For once, DailyMile and I agree.

I was pretty damn happy with my runs last week and also with my mileage. Thanks to the wonders of DailyMile, I can tell you the last week I ran more than 25 miles was…the week I ran a marathon in October.

Last week was one of my peak weeks, so things didn’t feel all roses and sunshine. They felt HARD. I felt slightly achy, my legs felt exhausted, and I just generally kind of disliked Jess all week, but I’m happy to have gotten such solid workouts in.

Monday: Tempo: Was supposed to be 1.5 warmup, 3 miles @ 8:15 and 1.5 mile cooldown. IT SUCKED. None of the tempo miles got below 8:30 and my legs were exhausted.

Tuesday: Best yoga class ever.

201303042100 DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Update

Wednesday: Speedwork with Lululemon Run Club. I ran hard, and it was so, so satisfying.

Thursday: Rest day

Friday: I’d planned on doing my long run on Friday, but I couldn’t get out of bed…so I did 6 instead and planned on my long run for Saturday.

Saturday: 13-miler. All of my devices failed me, my legs were exhausted, but I got it in. The first 6ish with Steph and Jen were fun, but then Jess wanted me to do the last 10K at half-marathon goal pace. I misread the schedule and aimed for the last 10K at 10K pace. My legs were exhausted, though, and I ran much closer to HGP. I originally had zero desire to run 13 miles the day I planned on going to a ball and dancing all night, but my legs ended up being fine while I was dancing.

Sunday: Day after the ball? Definitely planned as a rest day. I ended up feeling fine and could have gotten a workout in…but chose to take advantage of some rest anyway.

Jess is trying to kill me this week–5 mile repeats at an 8:00 pace? Eek. Since I missed a number of workouts in the earlier weeks, we’re not doing a taper, which is totally fine by me, as my body is used to the half distance by now.

How’s your training going? Taper or no taper for halfs?

SHARE THIS POST:facebook DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Updatetwitter DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Updatepinterest DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Updategoogleplus DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Update

17 comments on “DC RNR Half Training: Week 8 Update

1. Meghan

Nice week! Congrats on all the speed training and hitting a high mileage! I’m excited to see how RnR goes for you! Seems like you’re going to kick its butt! What time are you shooting for?
    Meghan recently posted..This weekend, I…

2. Maureen

Nice job! I don’t usually taper for a half marathon. I might back off the intensity the week of the race to save my legs, but otherwise it’s business as usual for me right up to the end. Seems to work for me.

3. Cathryn

I never know how to taper for a half. I tend to run long a week before, then a few shorter runs in the week with two full rest days beforehand. I have no idea if that’s right or not!!!!
    Cathryn recently posted..March blast off!

1. Theodora Post author

Honestly, I think if you’ve done at least a few, whatever works for you, works for you since it’s less taxing on your body than a full.

4. Gianna

Some great training runs last week, impressive! I think you have that PR ready for you.

The most tapering I have done for a half is take off the two days prior to the race. And I only did that when going for a new PR…which worked out in my favor each time :)
    Gianna recently posted..Weekend Perfection

5. Tara

I am running my first half, and just following Hal’s Half training, what advice would you give those who do not have a coach?
    I dont really understand all the 400′s at x pace, 800′s at x pace/repeats…..
    I am more at a place that if I can run 7 miles, I will run it and be sooo thankful that I can!
    Such a beginner, I know. And I know that I will only focus on finishing my first half and not focus on the time.

Just looking for some insite from you on what advice you could give such a newbie!
    Thanks!

6. Andrea Dean

Hi! I’m training for the Comox half on Vancouver Island and the Whistler half in June. Thanks for keeping me motivated! Tapering in a couple weeks then it’s hills, hills, hills :)