[Warning: this post abuses exclamation points. I am about to head down to the beach with my friends, and I’m incredibly excited.]
A few weeks ago, I talked about myÂ summer body experiment, and I promised I’d check back in on July 1, August 1 and September 1 to let you know how it was going.
Below are my goals, and in bold, my progress.
- pick and begin marathon training schedule by July 1. (Also considering training with a group. Does anyone know anything about non-fundraising marathon training groups?)Â Check! I found a running coach, and he’s helping me with my schedule.
- Get back to Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or Sunday running schedule. Other than some travel? Mostly check!
- Mondays and Wednesdays will be strength. Iâ€™m not sure what this will look like yet, because Iâ€™m still figuring out my gym situation. Oh strength…yeah. I’ve been doing strength at least once a week and need to just keep pushing myself to do it more.
- Add some ab work in (maybe a laÂ Angela @ Oh She Glows Whittle My Middle) to both tone my abs and reduce lower back pain. Half-check? I’ve been doing some ab work, but it’s sort of half-hearted. Of course I did a little last-ditch ab work yesterday immediately before hopping into a bikini. My last-minute ab routine: 1 minute regular plank, one minute each side plank, 20 push ups, 100 regular crunches, 100 oblique crunches on each side.
- Fridays (and really any other time I can fit it in, too) will be for yoga. Serious fail. I need much more yoga in my life.
- The weekend day I donâ€™t run will be for a rest day. (Um, yeah. I don’t have any problems with rest days.)
- Cut way back on wheat and dairy. (Caveat: once I finish the wheat products currently in my kitchen). Check. I even tried vegan cheese. While cutting back some on wheat and dairy has made me feel a little less bloated, it hasn’t really changed how my stomach feels, which reminds me that so much of my stomach issues are related to stress. (See also: need more yoga in my life.)
- But experiment with re-adding salads (which sometimes bother my stomach) and Greek yogurt (which I miss like crazy and didnâ€™t used to bother my stomachâ€“so long as I didnâ€™t eat it before running) I tried some Greek yogurt, and I think my stomach handled it okay. My stomach has been pretty messed up because of the stress of being laid off and looking for a job, so I haven’t experimented much.
- Take myÂ vitamins. Um, semi-fail. I’ve been good with my B-vitamins, but I need to get back to my multivitamins.
- Stick to a somewhat normal sleep schedule. I’m awesome at this.
- Make the best of this time Iâ€™m not working and try to enjoy at as much as I can. After all, it is summer. Check. Check.
- stick to 90 percent of my planned workouts
- do yoga at least once a week formally, and do at least a few poses at home everyday.
- chill the eff out. (Please see: most of my stomach problems related to my level of anxiety.)
- Take vitamins.
- Try more recipes. I’m not working and I’m not going away any other weekend in July, so I don’t really have any excuses.
What are your July (or summer) health goals?