On Top of the World

By 9am this morning, I was reminded why I’ve chosen this healthy lifestyle.

The plan this morning was to run 5 miles at half-marathon goal pace–8:42. I woke up and by the time I got moving, I thought I didn’t quite have enough time to get all 5 miles done–but I still had time for 4. I’m sure I used those extra 9-ish minutes so wisely. I ended up running them in around 33:40 (8:27 pace!).

I haven’t been able to find my AMT stick (or, fancy USB thing that plugs into my computer and spits out my splits) since moving, but the first mile was around 9, the middle two were somewhere in the high 7s or low 8s, and the last mile was somewhere around 8:30. Despite my three-quartered-ass training, I’m pretty sure I’ve “felt goal pace.” Whether I can run that for another 9 miles is to be seen.

Anyway, my legs felt a little tired from this weekend’s workouts, and my body felt a little tired from not having a proper dinner last night, but I felt amazing after this run. I got the post-run high that I’ve been chasing for weeks. By 8am.

I even managed to stop at Whole Foods to pick up a few things for breakfasts and lunches this week.

Freaking miracles coming from this non-morning person.

Sure, I was happy that I’d hit a great pace on a morning run, but the endorphins were so strong this morning, I couldn’t have been unhappy if I tried. I pretty much skipped to work.

I ate a frozen Amy’s meal for lunch and was still starving, so I got a green juice, because I think need more veggies in my life. I’ve been tired lately, which likely has to do with a full schedule, but I’m hoping upping my veggie intake helps with energy too.

photo 52 On Top of the World

This one was celery, broccoli and cucumber. I’m not a huge fan of cucumber or celery, so I don’t know why i thought I’d like this.

But…I did have a ton of energy afterwards. I want to try making my own green juice/smoothie, but there will not be any celery action.

I have an early meeting tomorrow and an event after work tomorrow night, so I need to get to sleep, but I’m feeling great after a day of really solid healthy choices. It’s so self-reinforcing, and I just need to remember it beats the alternative.

Questions: which healthy habits lead to more healthy habits for you, and which green juices don’t taste like ass?

SHARE THIS POST:facebook On Top of the Worldtwitter On Top of the Worldpinterest On Top of the Worldgoogleplus On Top of the World

23 comments on “On Top of the World

1. Allie

I’ve had two BluePrint Green Juices this week (with ginger), and actually enjoyed them. Actually being key because when I had them a year ago, I could not fathom finishing each one (though I did). Not sure if the taste changed, or me, but I’m going with it!
    Allie recently posted..6 Days in a Row

2. Danielle

Taste of green juice definitely grows on you! Some good add-ins are lemon, ginger (depending on your taste buds). Carrots, apples, or beets help to sweeten! I’m not a big fan of celery – I find it’s such a distinct taste that you can always taste it!

3. Laura

You should go to Terri on 23rd between 5th and 6th!! They have a green power smoothie w/ banana, pear, almond butter, soy milk, and kale. It’s pretty much incredible. They have a few pe-made green juices w/ fruit too!

4. Liz @ An Interesting Year

The more I work out, the better I want to eat…I’m jealous of your morning workouts this week! I am generally a huge morning person, but this week I screwed up my sleep cycle with only 4 hours of sleep on Sunday night and now I’m a zombie. Trader Joe’s has a pre-bottled green juice that I love!
    Liz @ An Interesting Year recently posted..Back on Track

5. Kelly

my favorite green juice/smoothie is: banana, 1/4 avocado, flax seed, spinach, almond milk, cinnamon! you have to try it

6. Ericka @ The Sweet Life

Mostly, I’m just jealous that you can just got BUY a green juice. There is seriously nowhere around here like that. I don’t trust the green juices sold in bottles at the grocery store — only fresh squeezed for me. Of course I make them at home but it’s a hassle and I can’t can’t get one mid-day if I want. Maybe you know of a place in DC that sells them?! :)
    Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Congo: That’s Why I’m Doing It

7. Liza

Green juices (well vegetable juices in general) make me sick. I have tried them about three times thinking that maybe it was something else…but every time they make me feel awful. It’s so sad because I would love the health benefits of them. I also can’t really even drink smoothies as I can’t have bananas either (they hurt my stomach). I am basically a prisoner to my stomach. Gluten-free vegetarian. Hey at least I can eat eggs, right?

8. Janelle

I like blending chopped, frozen spinach and frozen berries together for a super easy smoothie. Sometimes I’ll add a splenda packet if I need some sweetness.

9. Colleen @ Culinary Colleen

I want to start drinking green smoothies, but I’m kind of scared (for both me and my blender). I love those Naked juice green smoothies – however, I’m pretty sure they’re loaded with sugar and not as good for you as they look. They taste like bananas!
    Colleen @ Culinary Colleen recently posted..Desfina Restaurant