MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prize

Screen shot 2012 09 24 at 9.46.07 PM MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prize

Oh hey, thanks!

My first two years of marathon training, I didn’t do these weekly recaps because I thought I wouldn’t want to own up to the weeks my training was less than perfect.

Well, my training will always be less than perfect, because I am human. And not a professional runner. (Although if anyone is looking for a middle-of-the-pack runner? I’m your girl.)

Last week was another week of late nights and early mornings and making the best of what I had.

Monday: I AM SO GOOD AT REST DAYS. Can there be an event that involves lots of rest days as part of its training? Oh, wait. That was my life before 2009…

Tuesday: Pretty sure I’ve never met a 4-miler I didn’t like. A 4-miler seems like a treat during marathon training. I can even leave as “late” as 7am.

Wednesday: Seven miles after work. Seven shitty miles. On last Wednesday, 7 = 26.2. Or at least that’s how my legs felt. I was tired and achy…but I did them.

Thursday: Nailed that rest day.

Friday: Oh. This was the 4-miler I met I didn’t like. Well, it’s not so much that I didn’t like it, I just liked my bed better.

Saturday: Saturday sucked. A lot. It made me wonder just why the hell I was training for a marathon again. I was still exhausted and would have been so much happier to just get back into bed and stay there for a large part of the day. It was supposed to be 10, but I didn’t make it past 6.

201209242209 MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prize

Sunday: Sunday was awesome. Thank god. Luckily all of my truly awful runs have been confined to mid-week mileage, save for one really hot 13-miler. Which is fine, because what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and all that. And the long runs are the really important ones.

This week’s mantras: Focus. Eye on the prize. Two more weeks till taper.

Screen shot 2012 09 24 at 10.20.52 PM MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prize

SQUEE!!!

How’s your training, and what are your training mantras?

SHARE THIS POST:facebook MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prizetwitter MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prizepinterest MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prizegoogleplus MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prize

14 comments on “MCM Training Week 11 Recap: Eye on the Prize

1. Cathryn @ myheartscontent

I LOVE ‘Focus, eye on the prize’. I’m four weeks away from my first sub-two half marathon (I hope) and I keep thinking that the time for easy runs is OVER OVER OVER and I need to work my socks off for four more weeks.

Focus. Eye on the prize. 1.59.59!!!
    Cathryn @ myheartscontent recently posted..Firefly Run 5k

2. Anne

“They didn’t say it would be easy. They said it would be worth it.”

“There will come a day you won’t be able to do this. Today is not that day.”

“You can eat a thousand pancakes when you’re done.”

(The first two mantras get me going, but – let’s be honest – the third gets me to the finish line.)
    Anne recently posted..Three’s a Crowd

3. Meghan

I remind myself that every run counts, even the crappy ones. I had several awesome hard training weeks that resulted in major aches and a sore throat, so just hoping to recover quickly and get back in that “feeling strong” place!

4. Sam @ The Second Lunch

I’m superb at rest days as well! Just remember, your rest days (at least when your life isn’t seven days of rest days) are when your body is doing all the work to rebuild and make you stronger!

My current mantra is to *get outside and smile*. Especially if I’d prefer being in my bed. Smiling, even if you don’t feel like it can trigger activity in your brain and make you happier!
    Sam @ The Second Lunch recently posted..Charles River Center 5k – My First Race!

5. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides

Crappy or not, it’s another week down. At least that’s what I say. And if you find a team (or sponsors) for middle of the pack gals, I’m in. Definitely.

I am not sure if I have mantras – especially when I get mopey during the first 3 miles (of 20) that I wouldn’t have to run so far if I was happy with a half-marathon. I am more than likely to remind myself that I’ve made it this far to quit and to suck it up. Oh, and I remind myself of the Jeni’s ice cream that I’ll be eating after. (It’s a famous shop in Columbus, Ohio, where I’m running my full.)
    Kimberly @ Healthy Strides recently posted..Marathon Monday: Wear it out

6. MegG

“Better, Faster, Stronger” is a mantra I repeat over and over when the going gets tough. I will be better for just getting through this shitty run, if I can just push a little more I will be faster after this shitty run, if I get up this hill and maintain pace I will be stronger after this shitty run.

Your training is going great, hard weeks come and go for everyone, all that matters is that you don’t give up.
    MegG recently posted..Fitbloggin Day 1

7. Michele @ Nycrunningmama

I always like to tell myself that “Nobody said it was going to be easy.” Makes me feel tougher than I probably am but it works! LOL
    Huge fan of rest days, too. They are prob my favorite day in the training week =)
    Hope the next few weeks go by smoothly and according to plan for you!!!!
    Michele @ Nycrunningmama recently posted..Birth Story