To be honest, after attending two other blog conferences this summer, traveling to the Outer Banks, Boulder, Margate and Maine, training for a marathon, planning the year ahead for Junior League, I’m fairly exhausted, but I’m still excited for a weekend away catching up with new and old blog friends.
I’m also excited to knock out a 15-miler tomorrow morning in Philly with a big group of bloggers also training for fall marathons. (Not excited for the before-5am wakeup call.)
If you see me this weekend, it is highly likely that I will be:
- wearing this shirt.
- taking odd photos with bananas.
Or I will be in Serious Speak on Panel mode.
Ashley had some good tips about how to enjoy a blogger conference, and I wanted to add a few of my own:
1. Be yourself. There are so many different types of people at a conference like this, you can find a group you’ll fit in with. Not a runner? That’s fine! Walk the 5K on Sunday.
2. Step outside your comfort zone. Like Ashley said, we’re both guilty of hanging out with people we already know. Yes, it’s fun to come and hang out with your friends that live around the country, but it’s also great to meet new friends! Try a new activity with a new group. I have three left feet, and I tried Zumba last year with a new group! I felt like an ass the entire time, but I had fun.
3. Make it your conference. You’re going for specific reasons–whether it’s to meet people, speak or just find a new place to get your long run on. (Oops. I mean…) Feel free to go to all the sessions or skip the ones you’re not interested in in favor of quality time with friends.
4. HAVE FUN! Whether this is your hobby or your full-time job, have fun with this. Everyone’s really nice, I promise. It’s not worth stressing over.
What’s your favorite thing about conferences like these and how do you avoid feeling overwhelmed?