Stuffed Peppers — Recipe here.
Well, I finished another week of “Whole 30.” I put that quotes because if I were following Whole 30 100% by the books, I should have started over.
When I set out to do this, I knew I had a few events this month that I would prefer to have a few glasses of wine at. My big goals with this challenge were to lose a few pounds, clean up my diet and cut back on the booze. To hit reset on the healthy diet I’d veered away from.
If that means I get 95% of the results, fine.
With that said, here’s how the past week went. Last time I shared the positives and the negatives — this time I’m going to share the Pits + Peaks. (TM: Hallie)
- I’m meal prepping right now more than — quite honestly — I have in years. My wallet, my waistline, my sanity are all happy with this. I’d forgotten what a good mental release cooking can be.
- Frank’s Red Hot. Approved, takes everything up a notch. I’m putting it on…oh, almost everything.
- One of my planned cheats was a cocktail party I went to the other night. I went out to dinner with friends, and I wasn’t sure before how I’d handle the whole night in terms of Whole 30. I knew I’d have wine, but what about food? Would I throw it all to the wind because I was cheating on one thing? NO! I did not dive headfirst into a plate of cheese and carbs, though the flatbread one of the girls did look good. I’m proud to say a friend and I split a kale salad, steak and potatoes. I’m also proud to say that I didn’t use the planned cheat as an excuse to go hog wild on the wine.
- #notadoctor, but if I had to guess, I’d say my blood sugar is stabilizing, and my body is starting to become more fat-reliant than sugar-reliant for energy. This means my workouts are finally starting to feel better. So! Much! Energy!
- I’d gotten a gift certificate to Bloomie’s for Christmas for a pair of jeans I wanted. No way in hell was I going to go get them immediately post Christmas. I’d set a goal for myself of going halfway-ish through Whole30, knowing I’d feel at least somewhat better. Well! I’d tried these jeans on just before the holidays, and I’m a size down in them! Woot!
- Hi, I made egg muffins with prosciutto tonight. Go ahead and try to tell me your night was better.
- This whole thing is actually going quicker than I realized!
- There was a point last week where I just hit a SERIOUS meal planning block. Like, I came home and just stared into the refrigerator willing anything in there to look tasty. I’ll admit, I caved and ordered Hu Kitchen.
- Though I wasn’t hungover after the cocktail party, I could tell the effects alcohol was having on me — dragging through my workout, brain moving a little slower. To think this was happening on a fairly regular basis before this…
- In addition to the cocktail party, I also had brown rice twice. These were very conscious choices because I was STARVING and didn’t feel like some damn veggies would cut it. Brown rice was an aberration I was a-OK with and didn’t really feel guilty about. I think I will try to eat as close to this as possible when this is done, but I am fairly sure brown rice will be one of the first things to come back — though maybe not as frequently as I was having it. (I’m looking at you, Chipotle and Dig Inn.)
- Tonight, I went to Trader Joe’s with a few things in mind — chiefly spaghetti squash, which has made all things Whole30 infinitely better. They were out (also they were out of eggs), and so I decided to go to Fairway. ALSO OUT. I consider myself a generally rational adult, but I’d be lying if I said sitting somewhere and pouting for a hot second didn’t cross my mind. This was immediately post-workout, and I was HANGRY.
All in all? I’d say things are going well!
Anyone else doing it? How are you doing? Anyone who’s done it have any words of wisdom for me for the next two weeks?