A Hot and Humbling Run

Just in case you live in Alaska, and it’s 50 degrees where you are right now

Screen shot 2012 07 01 at 8.44.06 PM A Hot and Humbling Run

and you have not been on the Internets at all this weekend, I would like to inform you that it is very hot in NYC and most of the rest of the country right now.

Screen shot 2012 07 01 at 8.46.34 PM A Hot and Humbling Run

It’s nearly 9pm as I write this. Which means that it was really freaking hot during the day.

And it was yesterday. So I should have known better this morning, but knowing I have a summer ahead of early morning runs one day of each weekend, I had no desire to wake up early this morning to run.

So I went out at 9am, and pretty much died. I was happy for every stoplight I hit running west, and I definitely took a few walk breaks once I reached the West Side Highway, which I rarely do. I bought a handheld water bottle yesterday, and I drained the 12 ounces even before I’d finished a mile. I was thinking about doing 4 miles (totally savoring the last week of no training plan), but ended up running back to the High Line, running that and stopping at 3 and walking the rest of the way home.

I regret nothing.

And don’t know how you Florida people do it.

But I do know that a summer of marathon training will only make me a stronger runner come the fall. (Sidenote: how is it that I am training for my third marathon? When did this happen?) Fighting through the heat and humidity makes me feel like I’m flying come fall, which is always a nice little ego boost.

IMG 1802 A Hot and Humbling Run

Post run, I had a hot date with Shannon and her husband at H.K. for brunch. It’s really close to their apartment–and my old apartment–so we’d bought deals for it when it went on LivingSocial. They have a bottomless cocktail for $16.95 special, and let’s just say that I never found the bottom of this champagne flute.

IMG 1803 A Hot and Humbling Run

For breakfast, I had a frittata with sausage and guacamole and awesomeness. In my 29 years on this year, I’ve actually never tried a frittata (okay, a full-sized frittata–I searched my blog, and apparently I’ve had mini ones), and the whole cooking it on the stove and then putting it in the oven thing seemed beyond my cooking skills, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to order a skillet and start eating my weight in frittatas.

So: favorite brunch drink? And are frittatas easier to make than I think? What else do you skillet-owners cook in your fancy cast-iron pans? Or do you just use them as weapons?

(True story: apparently when the meter man used to come to read the meter, my great-grandma used to follow him with her frying pan and threaten to hit him over the head if he wasn’t “on the level.” )

SHARE THIS POST:facebook A Hot and Humbling Runtwitter A Hot and Humbling Runpinterest A Hot and Humbling Rungoogleplus A Hot and Humbling Run

21 comments on “A Hot and Humbling Run

1. jess

Frittatas are super easy. We make them at least once a week and dont even use a cast iron skillet. Just a regular one.

2. Cathryn @ myheartscontent

We were camping this weekend in a hot place and I had to get up at 6am to run. Was worth it though – running in the heat is brutal!!

My fave brunch drink is simple Champagne. You can’t beat it. I can’t remember the last time I had brunch with Champagne though. It’s normally just tea or coffee.
    Cathryn @ myheartscontent recently posted..A week in my Nikes – 29th June

3. Laura @ sweatingforit

mmmmm. Mimosas are my favorite brunch drink, but I could probably do any kind of champagne based brunch drink. It’s really hot in New Orleans right now, but like you, I push through by thinking how much better I’ll be in the fall!
    Laura @ sweatingforit recently posted..She’s a Brick…

4. Liz

Good for you for even getting out there in this heat! I’m training for Chicago so I had a 12 miler on Sat…Holy humidity! We took off at 6:30 which was too late. Uggh. But, when it’s all done and the miles are logged I officially feel like a rockstar!
    Liz recently posted..Running Renegade

5. kelsey

I’m so impressed that you’re training in the heat! I’m starting to train for my 3rd half marathon (never done a full one, yet!) but I’m in Canada this month so it’s nice and cool. Good luck – you’ll be great!
    kelsey recently posted..Powerless

6. Kelly

Having just gotten home (to Florida) from our first trip to NYC, I was shocked by the heat levels in the city. It was so nice when we got up there but as the week went on it became horrible. I hope it gets cooler again soon so training won’t be so freaking hot!
    Kelly recently posted..KLUTCHclub

7. Christina

The heat was brutal this weekend. Nothing is more humbling than running with your 15 year old cousin who decided to run for the first time. I guess she “paced” me or something because I seriously felt my age when I got home. Also, running in Brooklyn with this heat is no joke!

P.S. guacamole goes with EVERYTHING! Especially eggs ;)
    Christina recently posted..Sunday’s Eat Clean + Get Lean

8. Shauna @ Pleasure, Not Punishment

Fritattas are suuuuper easy and Lodge Cast-Iron Skillets are very reasonably priced. You can use any pan that is oven safe but cast iron will release the frittata more successfully.

My favorite brunch drink is a big ole Diet Coke on ice. Thank you for asking. :D

Happy Monday!
    Shauna @ Pleasure, Not Punishment recently posted..In Love.

9. Meghan

After running Boston in 90 degree temps this year, I am hoping my summer training for NYC will be easier! Fritattas are very easy to make and pair well with an extra spicy Bloody Mary! :)

10. Laura

That frittata looks huge and delicious! I want to go to HK now…

I actually find frittatas somewhat of a pain to make – who wants to wait all the time for it to bake? As long as I’m just serving myself, I prefer to make a thin omelet and just fold it over itself for thickness.
    Laura recently posted..I want instant gratification!

11. kristle

the worst is when you get a blast of warm air wafting up at you like it’s coming from the hot macadam! i too, cut my 4 mi run to 3 yesterday morning around 9:30.

12. Lauri

My Italian Great Aunt makes the BEST frittatas so I’d rather wait and eat hers :). my favorite brunch drink is hands down a mimosa – hold the OJ :)
    Lauri recently posted..T-7 days!